Gorgonzola and Red Onion Pizza with a Balsamic Glaze


I have to admit: I stole this recipe from my father. He's been making gorgonzola and red onion pizza for years, usually with pizza dough on the grill, and I haven't really changed the recipe too much for use in my oven. On my daughter's suggestion, however, I added the balsamic glaze a few months back and that has been an awesome addition. The syrupy sweetness of the balsamic reduction plays well with the sweetness of the caramelized onions and the sharp flavor of the gorgonzola. The recipe is a family favorite, although because it's a bit of an indulgence, we only make it once in a while as a treat.

A few tips. First, as with my Mexican Pizza recipe a few posts back, I use Giada DeLaurentiis's pizza dough recipe, as it has never failed me. You can find the recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pizza-dough-3075408 or you can buy pizza dough from the store. I believe Giada's recipe makes about one pound of pizza dough. Also, as far as the balsamic glaze, I've found, while developing the recipe, that a sprinkle of sugar in the balsamic vinegar tends to make the glaze a touch sweeter and also hastens the cooking process. The vinegar should reduce to a syrupy consistency; it will coat the back of a spoon when ready. I also add a sprinkle of salt to my red onions, but not too much. As the gorgonzola itself is a salty cheese, there is not much need for additional salt in the recipe.

Finally, the trick with this one is to watch the cheese and crust while the pizza cooks. You'll see I'm choosing a fairly low temperature for pizza (425) and positioning the cookie sheet on a low rack. This is so the crust gets brown, but the gorgonzola doesn't burn too much. Gorgonzola is not a cheese that likes to burn. Cooking time is about 10-12 minutes, but I'd say start watching after 8 minutes. The dough should be browned, but the gorgonzola should retain its color and shape for the most part.

I hope you enjoy this one, and as always, comments are welcome!


Ingredients

1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Sprinkle of Sugar

Pizza Dough (see note and link above)
2 Large Red Onions, sliced
1 cup Gorgonzola Cheese (more than a cup if you're crazy!)
4 tablespoons (approx.) Extra Virgin Olive Oil 
Sprinkle of Salt

*you will also need a cookie sheet and parchment paper


Steps


  • Bring the Balsamic Vinegar (and sprinkle of sugar if desired) to a boil in a small saucepan 
  • Turn down heat slightly and simmer about 20-25 mins. or until syrupy (mine took 22 mins.)
  • Set the glaze aside
  • Heat Red Onions and a sprinkle of salt in a frying pan with about 4 tablespoons of Olive Oil; cook on Med-High to High heat for about 15 minutes or until browned

  • Lower the heat until onions are soft and caramelized, another 5-7 mins. 
  • Set dough up on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (you can, as Giada's recipe suggests, let it rise on the cookie sheet for a while beforehand). 
  • Scatter caramelized red onion mixture over the dough, then top with gorgonzola cheese

  • Bake at 425 degrees, on bottom rack of oven, about 10-12 mins. or until crust is brown
  • Drizzle the pizza with the Balsamic Glaze 
  • Cut and Enjoy!





Comments