Black Bean Burgers with Creamy Sriracha Sauce



Normally, I try to stay away from the word "vegetarian" while writing my blog. I feel like the word might scare people off, especially since many dishes are healthy and fun for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. Having said that, there is no getting around the fact that these are "vegetarian" burgers. I have to admit that even though I'm a lifelong vegetarian, I've never cared for veggie burgers. The idea behind veggie burgers seems to be meat replacement, but since I've never enjoyed meat, the meaty texture has always been a bit of a turn-off. There's always a lot of guilt when I go to family gatherings, especially in the summer, and have to turn down the veggie burgers that were probably purchased with my specific diet in mind.

But these black beans burgers changed my opinion of veggie burgers. Not only that, my husband, a devout meat eater, loves these and does not miss the meat at all. The burgers are pretty hearty, and when you bite into them, the texture is not meat-like but soft and pleasant. Further, you might pair these with your favorite sides, such as chips, french fries, or even a colorful salad. The creamy sriracha sauce also gives them some bite and edge, and I'm sure whatever toppings you like will match them well. To make them a bit un-burger-like, I don't add too much in the way of toppings, but tomatoes, lettuce, or a slice of red onion would work well if you enjoy them.

Prep Time -----> One Hour
Level   --------> Intermediate
Servings ------> 6-7 (at two burgers per serving/person)


Ingredients

Olive Oil 
Onion, one medium, chopped
Garlic, one clove, minced
Black Beans, one large can (1 lb. 13 oz.), drained
Pepper
Brown Rice, cooked, 2 cups
Breadcrumbs, Italian, 3/4 cup plus more for sprinkling

Burger Buns
Sriracha Sauce: 1/3 cup mayo, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon Sriracha (Full recipe here: http://meatlessaroundtheworld.blogspot.com/2017/05/recipe-sriracha-sauce.html?spref=gp)
Chips or Sides (french fries, salad, sweet potato fries)
Toppings (pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.)

Steps


  • Saute onion in olive oil (about 4 tablespoons or so) until soft, about 5-7 mins
  • Add garlic, cook another minute
  • Add drained can of black beans and some pepper, cook until boiling and heated through, about 5-7 mins
  • Add cooked brown rice
  • Turn off heat and add 3/4 cup breadcrumbs, cool
  • Mash the beans, rice, and breadcrumbs

  • Form patties, adding more breadcrumbs if necessary. You'll want to form a meatball-sized ball, then press that into a patty.


  • Coat patties with a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and press in, if desired. This is optional, but I find that it adds a bit of texture and helps the patties brown while cooking.
  • Fry the patties (or grill them) with a little olive oil in pan, until browned on both sides (about 4-5 mins per side). It's okay if the middles are still soft.

  • Grill or toast the burger buns, if desired
  • Place burger on bun, top with sriracha sauce and toppings, and serve with your favorite sides!


Tips:
  1. I used Birdseye Frozen Brown Rice. The package is 2 cups exactly, and it only takes two minutes to heat up in the microwave.
  2. When you're done forming the patties, give the pan a quick rinse and use it again to fry up the burgers. This makes the recipe a one-pot meal!
  3. If you use a frying pan as I did, you'll probably need to fry these in two batches. I might suggest a griddle to do these in one batch, although I haven't tried it that way yet. Let me know if you do!
  4. When draining the black beans (I used Goya brand), just give them a quick drain, no need to rinse or even take them out of the can. The recipe needs that little bit of moisture from the canned beans. 

Up Next: Asian Cauliflower with Spicy & Crispy Shallots




Comments